Monday, July 27, 2009

US Visa Interview experience

Two of my friends and I are planning to go to the US in August end/ Sept first week. Now, how this plan was made will be covered in another post soon. We booked our flight tickets first and then took the visa dates. I was given the 9 am slot for today July 27 in the Kolkata consulate.

Before taking the date, I had to do a lot of groundwork for the same. Applying for a tourist visa calls for a groundwork. Since, I had already booked my tickets, I felt rather peaceful about the whole thing. Then I needed to show my bank statements, Income Tax returns, got a bonafide certificate from my college, PAN card copy, Credit card copy etc.

It is advised to reach the consulate 15 minutes prior to the appointment but I reached at 8 30 only. The appointment letter and HDFC bank receipt (used to pay the visa fees) are checked. No mobile phones and bags are allowed inside the consulate, so it is better not to take them in the first place.

After a brief security check, a queue is there to see the basic forms of the visa. Once the verification is done, one is asked to wait. The name is called out for fingerprinting record. After that, starts the wait for the interview call.

I was called quite quickly for my interview. I greeted the lady across the counter and the interview started.

She: Why are you going to the US?

Me: Sightseeing, leisure

She: You know anyone in the US?

Me: No, all my relatives and family are in India

She: What are you right now?

Me: A second year student in IIM Calcutta MBA Program

She: Who is funding your trip?

Me: I am, from my savings.

She: When did you graduate?

Me: 2004

She: Where and how long you worked?

Me: HCL Technologies for 3 years.

She: How much was your salary?

Me: Told her...

She: How long you have been in IIM?

Me: Joined in last June

She: What all subjects you studied last year?

Me: (stumped, not prepared for this one) umm..marketing, marketing, stats, marketing.....(long pause) strategy, economic and political history, risk management..(took some more names)..(she looked little suspicious)....should I tell my subjects in this year?

She: Its fine.

After some data entry and paperwork, she looks up again and says "Your visa is APPROVED. Com after 4-5 days to collect it."

The whole thing took max 50 minutes. Surprisingly, no one checked any of the documents taken along but it is always better to take them.

2 comments: