Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Auto Ride

This should have been posted long back but it’s never too late.
Around a month back, I had to go FMS to cancel my admission. I took an auto from Dhaula Kuan for the North Campus. The auto driver agreed to go by meter (a rarity in Delhi) and I set out for my journey.
All the conversation took place in Hindi though. A = Auto Driver, M = Me
A - You a student in DU?
M - Yes
A - Which course?
M - MBA
A - Ok, so you in FMS?
M – (Utterly surprised!!!!) Yes, I am
A – So, it is IIM A better than u?
M – (Completely zapped) Yes, it is!
A – So, where does FMS featue?
M – ‘Explained the rankings’ (Auto is being continuously driven) How do know about MBA and all?
A – I read the newspaper, these B-Schools are all over the place now. Placements, 1 crore salary etc.
M –‘Explained the “real” salary scene’
A – Tell me one thing, what does MBA teach coz according to me, its one capabilities which shapes a person. Like Ambani, Tatas and all are not MBAs but have such huge corporations
M – Yes, its about capabilities but MBA teaches about business as a whole etc etc.
Some more discussion followed and somehow topic shifted to cars. Meanwhile, I must say this guy was informed.
A – Do you know the origin of name Mercedes Benz logo?
M – I only know the reason of its name, it was name of its daughter.
A – Ya, that’s right! But the daughter had this design in her ear-rings and that’s how it became logo of this car company.
M – How do you know all this?
A – I watch Discovery channel.
M – What else you do?
A – I watch Nat Geo too and invest in stocks!
M – (Flabbergasted) Stocks? How?
A – Online accounts, 2 of them, 1 in ICICIDirect and another in HDFC. I have PAN, so not a problem. Also, I just play long term in the stck market as short term does not give good returns.
M – That’s really good. ‘Some more exchange of stock market talks’
A – I followed what once “Warren Buffett” said.
M – (Man, this guy is informed) What did he say?
A –Always buy stock of sick companies. I followed it once and made a killing. Took 15,000 shares for Rs.4 of a company, it reached Rs. 104 and I made cool Rs. 15 lakh. Bought a 10 lakh house and reinvested 5 lakh in stocks.
M – (Already floored)
A – Do you invest in stocks?
M – No
A – You should, you are MBA :D
M – Yes, will do in some time. By the way, stock markets are driven by MBAs only in the backend.
A – I know, its all the job of ‘analysts’.
M – (WOW!!!!, in complete awe of this guy)

There were other many discussions which I don’t remember now. How I wish I had a recorder at that time! It was really an awesome experience meeting that guy. It was hot June afternoon and the journey time was around 45 minutes but I was so engaged with him that it did not feel a bit. It was great meeting that person.

Wishing him all the best in life! I hope to meet him again when I go back in Delhi or maybe sometimes in future when he makes some headlines :) :) I am not joking people; he had the potential.

5 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Awesome I'd get the guy to invest for me too any day ;) You have taken his autograph... I'm telling you, all you need to be is street smart - you'd definitely do well in life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The autowallah must an MBA grad doing his summers. Kind of getting his hands dirty in order to know ground realities of the market, customers etc. Kuch entrepreneurial idea hoga usske paas..!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @shekhar,

    Quite possible but highly improbable!

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. potential! yes, this country has enough of that. Point is, when will we start tapping it?? I remember, a few years back,walking thru the streets of calcutta, my footwear snapped and the cobbler who mend it was a research scientist!! :O

    peace
    swati

    ReplyDelete