Monday, January 10, 2011

Honesty pays!

Given the fact that I travel so much by autorickshaw, I am bound to meet some interesting people in Mumbaiand Delhi.

Today morning, I hired one to come to office. Since, I am used to travel the route daily, I know how much it costs to reach office from home given the traffic conditions. Midway only, I realised that meter of this person is fast by all standards.
So, I interjected him!

Me: "Boss, aapka meter fast hai." (Boss, your meter is running fast)
He: "Maloom hai. Aap wohi dijiye to sahi hota hai." (I know. You pay whatever is the correct fare)

I was taken back by his brutal honesty and handed him some extra bucks on my way out. Its not everyday I meet such 'honest' people ;)

P.S. - Adviced him to get his meter fixed asap too!

2 comments:

  1. An unintended consequence of this would be that the person will not fix his meter!

    Two reasons:

    1. If the customer doesn't figure out the error, the rickshaw wala will earn more by default.
    2. If somebody does figure this out, he'll calmly acknowledge the truth. In the worst case, he'll get the true fare (lose nothing), and in the best case (with a customer as generous as you :P) he'll anyways earn more bucks!

    win-win situation for the rickshaw wala! And imagine what will happen if he shares this 'trick' with his fellow auto-wallas and everybody adopts this 'strategy' .... now here's a small 'Strategy and Business Development' course from a non-MBA :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a huge risk of being handed over to police by just calling a helpline! Even his vehicle can be impounded and yeah..it happens ;)

    ReplyDelete