Thursday, July 1, 2010

Amazing Grace!!!

In the last few months, my travel by auto rickshaw has drastically reduced as I drive myself now. But today morning, as the car was needed at home, I had to restore to the good old auto for reaching the office. I got one which was standing on the road in front of my building only but the driver was busy in buying ‘dhaap’(coconut water) from a road side vendor. I asked him if he is ready to go and he told me to sit. He continued to be busy in buying the coconuts and it was good 5 minutes before we started our journey as he buying in bulk and it took time to search, cut (partially) and pack them.

When we were just 2 kms away from my destination, he took a turn to the gas station for filling CNG. I protested a bit as it takes quite some time to fill the same. Moreover, there are perpetual queues at these places. Since, he had already taken the turn, I moved out of the auto and waited outside the pump (as this is the rule! – is it????)

Upon reaching the office, according to the meter reading, I calculated and told him that its Rs. 78. He was fine with it but told me that I should pay him 70 bucks only. I was taken aback a bit and asked the reason. He told me that since he made me wait initially and at the gas station (which was NOT counting in the waiting time as initially journey had not started it and he stopped the meter while at the gas station), so he was charging less as these activities wasted my time. I told him that it is fine and he should take the full fare only. But he was adamant to take less…this was something I had never faced before! So I finally told him that take atleast Rs. 75, to which he agreed and left.

In the end, I was moved by his thoughtfulness and this incident again showcased that still there are many people who are considerate in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment